Golden Valley Tree Park - a celebration of trees
Golden Valley Tree Park is a sixty hectare landscaped park set in the picturesque hills of Balingup. The heritage listed site has a collection of trees that was begun over one hundred years ago, and is now the largest arboretum in WA.
The Park is a great place for short walks amongst some of the loveliest rural countryside in the heart of the South West. The beautiful World Collection features many deciduous autumn colour favourites alongside rare and unusual specimens. Golden Valley’s Australian Collection showcases the wide diversity of Australian native tree associations from tall eucalypts through mallee woodlands to dry season deciduous species and a range of rare West Australian species. Many trees are labelled.
The fully restored Golden Valley Homestead (circa 1890) is located at the Park entrance and the Bibbulman Track runs through the Park as it heads south from Balingup. The Park is open daily and is free, but a gold coin donation is appreciated. No camping is allowed.
Thinning the tall Gums in the Australian Collection: Thinning Statement
Visiting the Park
- Golden Valley Tree Park lies just south of Balingup and is clearly marked from South Western Highway
- Entry is free but a donation will help the work of our volunteers
- The Park is open seven days a week. Camping is not permitted
- Toilets, wood barbeques, picnic tables and gazebo shelter provided
- Walk tracks are clearly labelled
- Many of the trees are labelled in the field. Maps and lists are provided at the information shelters
- Access by an easy 2km walk along the Bibbulmun Track southwards from town
There's always something different happening
at Golden Valley Tree Park ...
Next event 4 Oct 2014 Spring Picnic(See more details on Spring Picnic below)
Events 2014 Programme
7 June 2014
|Busy-Bee with Balingup Lions||
Massive clean-up of the woody weeds in the Mallee grove of the Australian Collection.
|Rare tree planting||Volunteers welcomed. Please call Chrissy on 97641148|
|Community Spring Picnic
2pm til late
Maypole dancing, circus, lots of kids games, tree walks, live band, late DJ. Food stalls or BYO picnic. This is a fund raising event for the arboretum. Dress up for spring! $10pp, kids free
More info: Download our flier